I often write about how long it takes for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) claims to wind through the bureaucracy to completion and how often claims are denied. I do this partially to dispel common myths that exist such as it easy to get disability benefits and everyone gets approved. In September, I looked at why such a backlog exists for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and SSI claims, but this week I will yet again examine just how bad the actual backlog has become nationally and in local hearing offices.
Please remember that these statistics are only for claims pending at the hearing level or Office of Disability Adjudication and Review. The claims at a hearing office have already been through the Application and Reconsideration steps (typically 6-12 months of waiting already).
· Average processing time: 461 days (up from 449 days in August and 444 in May)
· 44% cases approved
· Average processing time: 558 days (up from 552 days in August and 540 in April)
· 46% cases approved (steady since April)
· Average processing time: 546 days (up from 528 days in August and 521 days in May)
· 55% cases approved (down from 57% in August)
· Average processing time: 366 days (up from 354 days in August and 339 in April)
· 56% cases approved
· Average processing time: 499 days (down from 503 days in August!)
· 46% cases approved
· Average processing time: 487 days (up from 473 days in August and 467 days in May)
· 51% cases approved
· Average processing time: 444 days (up from 425 days in August and 410 in April)
· 44% cases approved
The hearing office staff work hard and understand the frustrations of the claimants and representatives, but they are hamstrung by the workload and budgetary restraints. Please call your Senator or Congressman and request more funding the Social Security Administration.
If you need more information about a Social Security Disability/SSI, personal injury, EEOICPA, long or short-term disability, VA disability, Railroad Retirement Board disability, or a workers compensation matter, please contact the Law Offices of Tony Farmer and John Dreiser for a free case evaluation. We can be reached at (865) 584-1211 or (800) 806-4611 or through our website.