An important and devastating issue for people seeking Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is the time it takes to get their case decided once they reach the hearing level. I have been a bit late on providing an update on this issue. My last entry was in April of 2016. The following is the most current statistics on the processing times and approval rates for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claims for some hearing offices in Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky. Please remember that these statistics are only for claims pending at the hearing level or Office of Disability Adjudication and Review. The claims at a hearing office have already been through the Application and Reconsideration steps (typically 6-12 months of waiting already).
· Average processing time: 510 days (up from 502 days in April and 444 days in May of 2015)
· 44% cases approved
· Average processing time: 553 days (up 3 days from April and up from 537 days in December of 2015)
· 48% cases approved
· Average processing time: 575 days (up 3 days from April and up from 521 days in May of 2015)
· 50% approved
· Average processing time: 427 days (up 11 days from April and up from 339 days in April of 2015)
· 59% cases approved
· Average processing time: 476 days (up 1 day from April of 2016 and up from 465 in December of 2015)
· 50% cases approved
· Average processing time: 513 days (up from 509 days in April of 2016 and 475 in December of 2015)
· 50% cases approved
· Average processing time: 502 days (down from 515 in April of 2016, but up from 410 in April of 2015)
· 40% cases approved
The hearing office staff work hard and understand the frustrations of the claimants and representatives, but th ey are hamstrung by the workload and budgetary restraints.
If you need more information about a Social Security Disability/SSI, personal injury, EEOICPA, long or short-term disability, Railroad Retirement Board disability, or a workers compensation matter, please contact the Law Offices of Tony Farmer and John Dreiser for a free case evaluation. We can be reached at (865) 584-1211 or (800) 806-4611 or through our website.