A major concern for my clients applying for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits is the time it takes to get their case decided once they reach the hearing level. I periodically try to provide an update on the processing times and approval rates for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) claims for some hearing offices (ODAR) in Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky. Please remember that these statistics are only for claims pending at the hearing level or Office of Disability Adjudication and Review. The claims at a hearing office have already been through the Application and Reconsideration steps (typically 6-12 months of waiting already).
· Average processing time: 525 days (up from 444 in May of 2015)
· 44% cases approved
· Average processing time: 555 (up from 537 days in December of 2015)
· 47% cases approved
· Average processing time: 567 (up from 521 days in May of 2015 though trending slightly lower this year)
· 50% approved
· Average processing time: 454 days (up from 339 in April of 2015)
· 61% cases approved
· Average processing time: 484 days (up from 465 in December of 2015)
· 48% cases approved
· Average processing time: 516 days (up from 475 in December of 2015)
· 52% cases approved
· Average processing time: 497 days (up from 410 in April of 2015 but trending downward for 2016)
· 41% cases approved
The hearing office staff work hard and understand the frustrations of the claimants and representatives, but they are hamstrung by the workload and budgetary restraints.
If you need more information about a Social Security Disability/SSI, personal injury, EEOICPA, long or short-term disability, Railroad Retirement Board disability, or a workers compensation matter, please contact the Law Offices of Tony Farmer and John Dreiser for a free case evaluation. We can be reached at (865) 584-1211 or (800) 806-4611 or through our website.